The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frozen Shrimp

This is a discussion on Frozen Shrimp within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Have anyone tried feeding your amphibians with Frozen Tiger shrimp (from supermarket). This type of shrimp is usually used for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: achiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgachiinto is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Frozen Shrimp

Have anyone tried feeding your amphibians with Frozen Tiger shrimp (from supermarket). This type of shrimp is usually used for dishes on dinning table. But I have a lot of them saved just for the puffer fish to eat, and one day I suddenly wanted to try some variation in the amphibian diet and I also ran out of food. It turned out SRN, CO, Warty Newts and Caecelians will eat them.

however, how is the nutrient of the shrimp as an occasional snack?

I do run them through water and also mix with blood worms and chopped earthworm together.

achiinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Frozen Shrimp

They are pretty good. They are included in this chart:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml
The only concern might be salt content. It's probably best to soak them in plain water before using.

Old 26th February 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Frozen Shrimp

I use them about once a month in order to add some variety. In general my animals go nuts over them. Today I used cut sections of thawed sea scallops instead and again most of the animals really went for them. I share Jen's concern about the salt content but I think as long as seafood is only fed sparingly as part of a varied diet then there should be no problem. There is also a freshwater shrimp species available at some supermarkets that I have used as well.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen, shrimp

LinkBack