The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Freezing earthworms

This is a discussion on Freezing earthworms within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have 3 axolotls, without driving for 6 hours there is only frozen blood worms available, during the summer I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sasafire has started on the right path
Default Freezing earthworms

I have 3 axolotls, without driving for 6 hours there is only frozen blood worms available, during the summer I dig earthworms out of my garden (more then 5 years insecticde and pesticide free) The problem is that I can only get them from April - late September and the bait shops in the area don't carry them longer then that either (they also can't tell me what they were grown in) Has anyone frozen earthworms? and are they still good then? I would love to keep stock in my freezer I'm just worried that they don't freeze well and that I'll just end up with a useless mess.

Sasafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Freezing earthworms

Frozen earthworms are nasty when they thaw out. Just a big ole pile of sloppy, mushy junk. If you've ever seen an earthworm that has been dead for a few days then that is what they look like when they thaw out. My advice to you would to setup a container to keep them in the fridge. Not only will the survive better in these condtions but would also breed for you.

Old 11th November 2009   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I tried it once with nightcrawlers, first cutting up the worms and freezing single pieces in plastic wrap. The thawed pieces were usable. They may have been a bit mushy, but the newts ate them. I'd say try it with one worm and see if the thawed pieces seem usable. Keeping them in dirt in the fridge certainly seems better if you have the fridge space.

Old 11th November 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sasafire has started on the right path

lol, now my husband is really going to kill me, first I have "that fish" (one of my axolotls) that has been in the fridge for almost 3 weeks, now I want to put worms in there. This could be interesting! Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just skip the whole freezing thing, and start a worm farm in the spring.

Sasafire is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack