The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frozen food good vs bad

This is a discussion on Frozen food good vs bad within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am working on setting up a 10-20 gallon tank for a local high school. Tank will contain one of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Frozen food good vs bad

I am working on setting up a 10-20 gallon tank for a local high school. Tank will contain one of my cynops species, likely popei, or cyanurus. I think the easiest thing for this teacher will be to feed chopped troutworms 1-2 times a week a blend of frozen. Currently the only frozen I use is bloodworms. I would like to condition my animals to eat something else frozen. As I shy away from most frozen foodsI am not sure what is appropriate for the cynops. I know Hikari is good as I have used that brand of bloodworms, and mysis for my salt water tank. Just looking at the Drs FS website I have found a few items to try. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like something good to switch too:

1) Hikari frozen Daphnia -- live daphnia are nutrituous and provide color enhancement
2) Hikari spirulina frozen brine shrimp
3) Hikari baby brine shrimp

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to make this easy on the science tweacher. For him to keep live daphnia cultures, or even blackworms may be too much. But I also don't want to deprive my newts either....

Last edited by Azhael; 12th May 2010 at 20:55.
merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Frozon food good vs bad

The problem with frozen daphnia and small artemia is that, first off, they are really small and some animals may ignore it, and also that they kind of break down which can foul the water.
Adult artemia are ok, and you can also find frozen gammarus (excelent), frozen tubifex, etc...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Frozon food good vs bad

With frozen foods the key is variety. The problem with frozen foods is during the freezing process the cells are broken open, then when the food is thawed you lose some of the nutritional elements. In my opinion offering a variety of foods offsets some of these losses. The only frozen foods my Cynops sp. have readily taken is bloodworms, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, and occasionally daphnia.

Old 13th May 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Frozen food good vs bad

Good to know. I am not a real proponent of frozen food but where this is going to a high school I am trying to make it easier. I will try a few frozen foods and see what works. Certainly cut earthworms still need to be the center of the diet.

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axiesoph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frozen food good vs bad

I've heard frozen bloodworms are a good option. How do your axies take to that?

axiesoph is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack