The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frozen black mosquito larvae. Survive being frozen.

This is a discussion on Frozen black mosquito larvae. Survive being frozen. within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I know insects are incredible little things, and can survive a hell of alot. I was feeding my C.orientalis with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2010   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Crysta has shown reliable knowledgeCrysta has shown reliable knowledge
Question Frozen black mosquito larvae. Survive being frozen.

I know insects are incredible little things, and can survive a hell of alot. I was feeding my C.orientalis with black mosquito larvae and as it thawed I realised that one of the larvae had SURVIVED!

there is was wriggling around the top of the water. I have no idea how it's possible at all.
My question is, has anyone else ever experienced frozen food surviving the freezing process, because it truly astonished me.

Thinking about mixing species? Think again. Why risk it?
--
Crysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dcerdeiras has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Frozen black mosquito larvae. Survive being frozen.

Life never ceases to amaze me.
I've heard of wetas surviving freezing, but this is the first case I've heard of mosquitos doing it. I guess they have to survive the winter some how, or else they wouldn't exist in norther climates.

Old 4th August 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 11
Rep: Ltdanicecream is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcerdeiras View Post
Life never ceases to amaze me.
I've heard of wetas surviving freezing, but this is the first case I've heard of mosquitos doing it. I guess they have to survive the winter some how, or else they wouldn't exist in norther climates.
Grrr. Its a shame they CAN live up North... makes herping and fishing a pain... but no, I've never seen this happen first hand although I've heard of frogs being frozen and thawed, on the Discovery Channel and what not.

Ltdanicecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgNathan is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'd never heard of skeeters surviving actually being encased in ice, but I've seen plenty of wrigglers active under the ice in frozen-over ponds.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Crysta has shown reliable knowledgeCrysta has shown reliable knowledge

Had a frozen blood worm survive also - got that on on video - insects are now scary D:

Thinking about mixing species? Think again. Why risk it?
--
Crysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

I observed the exact same thing last night, I placed a cube of frozen blood worms (Hikari style) in the water, several hours later some were alive! I could not believe my eyes. Fascinating.

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

I've seen thawed blood worms wiggling slightly before when feeding, but never for too long, as the newts eat them up too fast. I always thought I was seeing things.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I've often thought the odd bloodworm was alive but always put it down to a live one being left over from a previous feeding! If they can survive then it really is amazing!!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen food

LinkBack