The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hikari Shortage

This is a discussion on Hikari Shortage within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Be advised that there is an issue with the Hikari Foods Supply chain. Many retailers cannot get their frozen products. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2011   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Exclamation Hikari Shortage

Be advised that there is an issue with the Hikari Foods Supply chain. Many retailers cannot get their frozen products. The few that can are severely limited by Hikari in the amounts they can order per month.

(Example: the only place left in Nebraska that can get any of their frozen products is only allotted three 16oz packages of each. I go through six of these a month.)

The big chain stores are out and have been for months. The SF Bay brand is readily available here, but I find their frozen bloodworms to be inferior.

(I suspect this may be related to the tsunami, but that is mere conjecture.)

I am a bit worried as I have utilized a broad range of Hikari's superior products for years.

I have attempted to contact Hikari USA multiple times, but have not gotten anything but long hold times and answering services.

I would very much like to find out what is going on before my stockpile runs out

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Hikari Shortage

Odd. The stores over here are still going strong with tons of Hikari in.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: taapua has shown reliable knowledgetaapua has shown reliable knowledge

I too have tried many different brands of frozen foods and find that all pale when compared to Hikari. No, I'm not being paid by them. LOL. Have you tried e-mailing them?

taapua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

Not in Fort Worth, TX, I find their products just fine.

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Hmm. Must a a MidWest thing then.

Old 9th December 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Johnny, if you're looking for bloodworms then you could try Brine Shrimp Direct. I've been buying mine in bulk from them for quite some time and I've been quite pleased. Their bloodworms come from managed ponds in Northern China.

Old 9th December 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: desertiguana is an unknown quantity at this point

Here on the edge off the great pacific northwest hikari brand frozen foods are scarce. All their is is sanfrancisco bay brand.

desertiguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I got the word from Hikari USA today via Facebook. As it is posted on their wall, you can all verify it there.

We are experiencing some import issues related to Blood Worms due to a change in the USDA import process. We are hoping to have them resolved shortly.

~Hikari USA via Facebook

This explains the bloodworms. So I will take a risk and assume the brine shrimp is a similar reason.

Old 15th February 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: trailsofslime is an unknown quantity at this point

The USDA changed the regulations for importing frozen and freeze dried insects in mid October, the bloodworm a midge fly larvae is grouped in this category. Some companies had containers of product on the water when the law was changed.

trailsofslime is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack