The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Variety foir N. strauchii

This is a discussion on Variety foir N. strauchii within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I am looking for some additional frozen foods to offer my strauchii. I have bloodworms and earthworms, but has anyone ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: grendel88 has started on the right path
Default Variety foir N. strauchii

I am looking for some additional frozen foods to offer my strauchii. I have bloodworms and earthworms, but has anyone had success with other foods? Does anyone have a good (cheap) source for blackworms?

grendel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Variety foir N. strauchii

Other than bloodworms, I haven't found any frozen foods that work well for newts. Either the bits are too small (like frozen daphnia), or too slimy/disintegrated (like frozen glassworms). Chopped frozen beef heart is OK, but wouldn't improve their diet. If you are using earthworms and bloodworms, it's hard to find anything that would improve on that diet.

Old 11th November 2012   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Whilst not frozen, pellets can also be a convenient non-live food and in my experience strauchii will normally accept them although it may take patience and encouragement. Mine will wolf down softened reptomin sticks but turn their nose up at other pellets formulated especially for amphibians. If you can get them to accept a quality soft sinking pellet formulated for carnivorous fish it would be a good addition to the bloodworm/earthworm feed cycle.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: erik3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

My crocatus, which I believe are very similar, really like daphnia, (frozen) artemia, enchytraeids (sp?), and on occasion bloodworms.

erik3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack