The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Vitamins for aquatic newts?

This is a discussion on Vitamins for aquatic newts? within the Frozen Food Discussion forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi, I am currently keeping three types of newts in aquatic set ups. Each group (Kaiser newts, Strauchii newts and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Azhael

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: grendel88 has started on the right path
Default Vitamins for aquatic newts?

Hi,
I am currently keeping three types of newts in aquatic set ups. Each group (Kaiser newts, Strauchii newts and Blue tailed newts) are feeding on a diet of frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Does anyone keeping these species give them vitamin supplements? If so, what kind how are they administered? Please beat in mind the ones I have are only taking aquatic foods at this point. There is nothing to suggest my guys are not thriving, but I would like to ensure a well balanced diet for them. Thanks

grendel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Vitamins for aquatic newts?

A diet based on bloodworms is not adequate and can lead to severe problems in the long run.
You should base the diet on earthworms and for variety some fresh-water crustaceans would be great (brine shrimp is not ideal for the salt contents), and even some high quality, axolotl specific pellets.
Administering vitamins to aquatic newts is not easy. If you provide a good diet, supplements won´t be necessary, though.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: grendel88 has started on the right path

Thanks for the info. I will definitely give worms another try (last time they were taken but only the tiniest of pieces). I will also attempt to mix and match with sinking foods. Any specific crustaceans you can recommend? I dont think they would take daphnia well.

grendel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Izzdelatorre98 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my newt multi vitamin supplements at petsmart. I put it in a bag and then add the freeze dried food and shake it up to coat the food. That's how I administer it. It helps keep their bones strong etc. I don't remember the name but it's something like "Reptocal for herps". It was about $14. Hope this helps

Izzdelatorre98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Izzdelatorre98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay it's called herptivite vitamin supplement

Izzdelatorre98 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack