The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Frozen tilapia

This is a discussion on Frozen tilapia within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I feed strips of frozen/thawed tilapia to my bichir and he seems to do really well on the stuff. Assuming ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nyoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frozen tilapia

I feed strips of frozen/thawed tilapia to my bichir and he seems to do really well on the stuff. Assuming that nutrition is relatively preserved during freezing (as most studies show) would this be okay to add to a diet of pellets and earthworms for Axolotl?

Nyoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Frozen tilapia

I don't have a "yes or "no" answer for you, but perhaps these articles will be helpful (in case you have not already read them):
Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates (Raw fish and shrimp are discussed more towards the end of the article)
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values (Codfish and anchovies are specifically discussed, and also footnote c continues the discussion).

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Frizbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frozen tilapia

I have used frozen thawed tilapia for fish, axolotls, frogs, tegus, turtles, etc. without an issue. As with any food it is not exclusive and intermixed with worms/pellets/etc. The only thing I have noticed with some axolotls is it sometimes takes them a bit to get used to/find since it's not a real "smelly" fish, but once they realize what it is they hoover it right up. You could use tongs to feed until they get used to it vs plunking a few chunks/strips in the tank and waiting for them to stumble upon it and, with any food, anything not eaten should be removed from the tank to keep from fouling the water.

Frizbee is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack