The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fish eggs / Roe / Spawn?!!

This is a discussion on Fish eggs / Roe / Spawn?!! within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; i recently went on a 3 day river trip an was fairly successful in my fishing. we managed to catch ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
richard

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Fish eggs / Roe / Spawn?!!

i recently went on a 3 day river trip an was fairly successful in my fishing. we managed to catch 7 rainbow trout(we only kept one), but managed to "harvest" the eggs. now that I am back home, and not in a fishing mood, does the anyone agree that maybe i could feed my c. Orientalis the eggs in the food dish? I am unsure where to put this post....the spawn is in the fridge....

(Message edited by richierich on May 10, 2006)

Old 11th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
richard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i put 5 eggs in his food dish but he hasnt touched them yet, or visited his dish for that matter

Old 11th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It is called roe and yes it can be used as a food source (but keep in mind that the eggs are high in fat).

Ed

Old 11th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
richard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i thought only salmon eggs were called roe, but w/eClick the image to open in full size. if roe is high in fat, then should i only present them once a month or so to offer a treat? should i avoid them on the same rule as pinky mice? is the fat content of roe too high to be a suitable food. i understand this cannot be a staple

(Message edited by richierich on May 11, 2006)

Old 11th May 2006   #5 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nope, all fish eggs are roe. It is high in fat and can be used either as conditioning food or an occasional food.

Ed

Old 12th May 2006   #6 (permalink)
richard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

ty..live and learn

Old 19th August 2007   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: PetGuy302 has started on the right path

I have a pair of CFB's and once or twice a year (for the past 5 years) during trout season they get a nice sack of rainbow trout eggs. They LOVE them! It is safe, just not as a staple.

PetGuy302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, fish, roe, spawn

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 29 (Set)

920fish, Antgarner, ApparentlyAFK, caudatadude28, Chopper Greg, creator, djday1302, gocrow77, Hardwarehank, hazelceleste, icculus77, jay r n, jeromeetabuzo, kanejam, KaylaContagious, leopard3000, LJ, Maldenarious, NeilBalchan, nilo22, oceanblue, otolith, pete, Poohbie, Ronap, snootyfox, tka, ZephAmp, Zhinigami
LinkBack