The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeder fish

This is a discussion on Feeder fish within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; hi i am goin on holiday for a week and i was wonder if it will be alrite to put ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2004   #1 (permalink)
jack

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Feeder fish

hi
i am goin on holiday for a week and i was wonder if it will be alrite to put some feeder fish into the tank also wat breed of feeders should i put in there and lastly how many should i put in to last a week

thanks a lot

Old 17th December 2004   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

If you are going away for a week, I would suggest just not feeding them.

Ed

Old 17th December 2004   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I agree with Ed. The feeder fish have risks (do a search for old discussions), and one week is no problem for newts. Even two weeks is usually no problem.

Old 12th January 2007   #4 (permalink)
laura

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I was told that it is bad to deprive them of food for a week, they get restless.

Old 19th May 2007   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: am_i_a_newt has started on the right path
I wouldn't put feeder fish in with it as they are usaually in poor health and theres a risk of them carrying diseases

Old 25th July 2007   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: Cizza has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

just put a few live bloodworms in a corner (not to meny) and tht will keep them going!

Ciz

Cizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cizza View Post
just put a few live bloodworms in a corner (not to meny) and tht will keep them going!
Bad idea.

Leaving food in the tank, especially when you will be gone is a bad plan. Excess food will quickly begin to rot and foul the water. The spike in ammonia and nitrite that can occur could be fatal and cannot be dealt with since no one is home.

Since the owner is absent and cannot monitor the water or correct any problems it is best to minimize any changes in water chemistry. Not feeding helps that for two reasons: the first being that feeding isn't necessary as a newt can easily go a week without food and the second being that with the newt eating nothing it will have less waste to excrete and thus water parameters will change less than normal.

Please be careful of the advice you give.

Also, please be aware of post dates when you reply. This person left on vacation three years ago.

Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007   #8 (permalink)
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just to add to the information that was posted even though it is an outdated thread..
Often amphibians in captivity are obese so a short fast is not a risk for them while increasing the bioload on the tank when it cannot be monitored is a big risk to the animal's health.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salamanderguy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

you could buy a pregnant fancy guppie and she will release fry which should be healthy

salamanderguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeder, fish

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 25th July 2017, 14:52 (Set) (Clear)

Anonymous User, Galaxy, Teledu
LinkBack