The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Caviar

This is a discussion on Caviar within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Now before you all accuse me of feeding gourmet food to newts...this stuff was actually pretty cheap. Pretty close to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2006   #1 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Now before you all accuse me of feeding gourmet food to newts...this stuff was actually pretty cheap. Pretty close to what you pay for blackworms($20 per pound but I bought some for $2.40). It is some Japanese fish eggs that are likely mean't to be used in sushi. I bought them mainly to see if the fish would like them but thinking again I wonder if the newts would like them too? Since they were likely marine in origin I think any chances of parasites are minimal. I think it was referred to as "Caplin" or something like that. Golden eggs about 2mm diameter.

Also, they are likely cheaper than frozen food meant for animal consumption.

Old 7th September 2006   #2 (permalink)
jameswei

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hmm they are flying fish eggs then, arent these known to be high in mercury content?

Old 7th September 2006   #3 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capelin

Flying fish eggs have a low mercury rating see
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/sushi.asp

All fish eggs have a high fat content and should not be used as the staple.

Ed

Old 7th September 2006   #4 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Ed. Good to attach a fish to these eggs. I guess I will use them as a treat, especially as egg laying comes near.

Not flying fish eggs. Those were more expensive.

Old 15th September 2006   #5 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ok. The results are in.

The Triturus karelinii did not like it at all. So it had to be vacuumed out.

Cynops orientalis did eat it. It would probably be better if their was a way to get them to stay in clumps rather than making the newts hoover them off the bottom(probably wouldn't work if their was sand). A feeding dish would also make cleanup easier. They did seem to enjoy the change though...and this feeding time was much calmer than it would normally be(with newts snapping at each other and trying to steal worms from each other)

Tags
caviar

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 26th November 2017, 21:39 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack