The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Neon tetras as feeder fish

This is a discussion on Neon tetras as feeder fish within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Are neone tetras a good source of food to occasionally feed my firebelly newts ? I ask this because i ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sazbob has started on the right path
Default Neon tetras as feeder fish

Are neone tetras a good source of food to occasionally feed my firebelly newts ? I ask this because i am getting more newts and along with them comes neon tetras. I didn't have anyone to give them to so i thought that maybe i could feed them to them. They don't come from a petshop so should be healthy and i'd give them other food sources aswell. I know of someone who buys his from a petshop and all his newts are healthy but this might just be a lucky occasion ?

Old 19th May 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Neon tetras as feeder fish

It is not exactly clear from your post. How are you getting neons along with newts? In all honesty as long as the fish are healthy and small enough to be easily swallowed then a neon tetra would probably not be a bad variety item to be offered every once in a while. Still though, it seems such a shame to feed them out. Perhaps you could offer them in trade for credit at a local fish store.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sazbob has started on the right path

I'm getting my newts and tank from a guy i know who can't keep them any more and he has neon tetras also that he needed to get rid of. He was thinking of feeding them to the newts anyway so i don't think he would mind if i let the newts eat them.

Old 21st May 2008   #4 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

personally i wouldnt dream of feeding neons to newts, seems a bit like feeding a hamster to a cat, but i suppose if needs must.......

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Perhaps you could really quickly join a neon tetra forum and then offer the fish for sale, trade, or giveaway. Of course, I'm sure the newts won't object to them either...

blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 5
Rep: coichards has shown reliable knowledgecoichards has shown reliable knowledge
Lightbulb Re: Neon tetras as feeder fish

But I guess it's a fish eat fish world.

Old 9th November 2009   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: silverskull is an unknown quantity at this point

what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.

silverskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: katweazel is an unknown quantity at this point

[when i bought my axolotl i put neons in as live food and as long as they are small enough they make ideal feeder fish,QUOTE=silverskull;212554]what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.[/QUOTE]

katweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskull View Post
what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katweazel View Post
[when i bought my axolotl i put neons in as live food and as long as they are small enough they make ideal feeder fish,QUOTE=silverskull;212554]what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.
[/QUOTE]

The temperature and water chemistry requirements for tetras and axolotls are VERY different. The axolotls will appreciate the snacks though. Have a go at the sticky on this subject, and the companion article on Caudata Culture.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: corientalis is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think firebelly newts could actually catch healthy neon tetras. I kept my C. o.-s with white clouds which are similar to neon tetras in size and movement speed, and not even a single minnow was killed by them. They even bred in the newt tank, and time to time some of the fries reached adult size (most of them were sucked in by the filter I think).

corientalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeder, fish, neon, tetras

LinkBack