The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fish roe for feeding A. Maculatum larvae

This is a discussion on Fish roe for feeding A. Maculatum larvae within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I think everyone will find this interesting. I caught 3 flathead catfish last night. Small ones 5,6, and 8 pounders. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Fish roe for feeding A. Maculatum larvae

I think everyone will find this interesting. I caught 3 flathead catfish last night. Small ones 5,6, and 8 pounders. While cleaning 2 of them I found them to be full of eggs. One had pretty large eggs a 1/3 of a salmon egg in size while the other one had very tiny eggs. So I took some of the tiny eggs and put them in with my larvae. And what did I see? Mac larvae going nuts and gulping them down very quickly. I have fed the larger eggs to my Axies, Paddletail, and Notophthalmus newts. Even my Blue Tongue skinks are crazy for them.

Coastal Groovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009   #2 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Melmo has started on the right path
Default Re: Feeding A. Maculatum larvae

Hah! That's awesome Bill. This would be a cool thing to try out. Thanks for sharing.

Melmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Not to steal your thunder but the exact same scenario has been posted before, though I don't think it was catfish. Still, nice to know.

Old 30th June 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

You could culture your own eggs very easily. You just breed your own fish. Convict Cichlids are easy they lay their eggs on black slate that you could then transfer into your newt or larvae tanks. Im sure these energy packed eggs would be good for growth and conditioning. And you could do it in a 10 gallon tank. I know a small 2 inch felmale would give u about 50 -150 eggs. breeding them is a no brainer just put them in and feed them some fish flakes. They do the rest.

Coastal Groovin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, larvae, maculatum

LinkBack