The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Guppies Good live food for axolotls?

This is a discussion on Guppies Good live food for axolotls? within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I was curious if guppies are the best live food for axolotls besides earthworms? are there are fish that can ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: mega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guppies Good live food for axolotls?

I was curious if guppies are the best live food for axolotls besides earthworms?

are there are fish that can easily be breed to feed axolotls?

Thanks,

Ash

mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Guppies Good live food for axolotls?

They are ok, but they are not as good as earthworms.
The thing is, axolotls are not specialized fish-eaters, if they ever include any on their diet iīm sure itīs carrion or impared individuals. They canīt digest vertebrate meat very efficiently, and itīs too high in calories so it should only be offered sparangly. Feeder fish obviously need to be quarantined in order to avoid introducing patogens.

Guppies, danios, white-cloud minnows, Gambusia...are all easily bred and adequate in moderation for a healthy diet.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: DavidF has given good advice and informationDavidF has given good advice and information

I have had 4 minnows and 1 guppy in the tank with 2 axies for a month or so now. My axies can't get catch them so they aren't good as food for my guys. Mind you, they got other minnows and guppies so maybe these are just the more skilled ones improving the gene pool. Maybe you axies will be more adept at catching them.

I'm having a go at breeding red cherry shrimp to use as treats. So far so good as they breed easily and I'm a complete novice. Those shrimp that avoid being eaten can help clean the algae off the plants. So far, I've put a few shrimp in as testers but they didn't last the night.

DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

I have some Glass Shrimp in my tank... but it's heavily planted. There are about 14 out of the original 48 that were smart enough to survive. They stay just out of reach. Very adept at it and clever little fellows.
I also put in 12 guppies once. It took them about a week to get them all.
My guys sit on the plants and wait until something swims by. They miss a lot..... but not all of the time.
I put that stuff in there as a diversion since they are ALWAYS looking for food. You can't depend on them getting enough to survive however and as Azhael pointed out... they are kind of like fast Food. OK sometimes.

Old 29th June 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: mega is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. So long as i continually feed them earthworms, a few guppies in the tank are not a bad idea.

:) Kinda like chocolate cake once in a while.

mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Yep. Just make sure to quarantine them for a month before introducing them to your axolotls, and introduce only a small number. After all fish waste is pure ammonia, so you want a small number and a properly cycled tank.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

As others have said, they move quickly and breed... a lot. I quarantined and treated some feeder guppies, popped 5 in. The axolotls ate three in 24 hours. That was 2 months ago. Since then, the female has had two batches of fry, none of which are dying or getting munched on. I am rapidly worrying that I'll have to start managing population control, myself, since the axolotls aren't doing it for me.

I've also been breeding cherry shrimp, like David F., but I haven't gotten around to popping a few adults in the axolotl tank, yet, so I can't share experiences on that front. I will say that RCS are insanely easy to breed.

Old 30th June 2010   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post

I will say that RCS are insanely easy to breed.
Glad to hear it. I just got some today! (Not for the Axie tank).

LinkBack