The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Food for red spotted newt

This is a discussion on Food for red spotted newt within the Fish/Fish-related, as Live or Frozen Food forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I want to know what fish would be best for my water area in my newt paludarium. It holds about ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chezr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tobiascole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food for red spotted newt

I want to know what fish would be best for my water area in my newt paludarium. It holds about 6-7 gallons of water. Thank you.

Tobiascole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Food for red spotted newt

They are unlikely to eat any fish.

Old 30th August 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Vern5384 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it would need to be something small that can tolerate cooler water. Maybe mosquito fish? And even then only a few of them at one time.

Vern5384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

They may not eat them but least killifish are pretty cool and small enough to be eaten. I have a little tank with them and they breed pretty regularly although not as much as your typical live bearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chezr has started on the right path

I agree with Jennewt but I have had some eat least killifish (Heterandria formosa). It might be hard to maintain healthy water parameters with only 6-7 gallons of water, bust least killifish are one of the smallest species of fish in the North America and probably don't make too much bio-waste. I still don't think I'd recommend it, but it's probably your best option if you really want to try.

chezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Red spotted newts are notoriously fragile as pets. They seem to suffer from all kinds of problems like fungal and bacterial diseases, or even just drop dead for no visible reason. While it might not be the exact cause of death, stress will certainly not help them fight off these problems and adapt successfully to captivity. Forcing them to share a small tank with any kind of fish will stress them greatly.
There are plenty of suitable foods for them like earthworms, live Blackworms or aquatic invertibrates and insect larvae. To give them any chance of long term survival I would recommend moving them to a planted tank with at least ten gallons of water. Try and feed them a diet based on earthworms with any of the other things I mentioned for variety and they will at least have a chance of surviving.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack