The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium

This is a discussion on Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; A couple of months ago, I found that someone had dumped an opened packet of cheap bourbon biscuits in my ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By caleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2014   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11
Default Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium

A couple of months ago, I found that someone had dumped an opened packet of cheap bourbon biscuits in my front garden. Rather than throw them away, I made them into a medium for lesser waxworms by grinding them up in a blender and mixing with honey & glycerine.

To my surprise, the resulting waxworms were much larger than those from my usual cultures (made with oats, flour, yeast, honey & glycerine). The picture the largest one from the biscuit culture alongside the largest one from a normal culture- the biscuit one is over 2cm.

I wonder if this was due to extra sugar- there must have been an awful lot in the biscuit-based medium.
Attached Thumbnails
Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium-biscuits.jpg  

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium

What an invention ! You have developed brand new diet, congrats !
j.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've had them grow this big on their normal diet of crushed weetabix type biscuits and honey. Sometimes they just grow twice the normal size. I don't keep track of how much honey I use or the temperatures so I can't say what causes it but you're probably right about the extra sugar.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

That's interesting Eva, it's never happened with mine- they are nearly always about 1.5cm max.

I guess I ought to try the biscuits again to see if it was a one-off...

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack