The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Calci worms

This is a discussion on Calci worms within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Does anyone know of a good supplier in the US? I'm having a disturbingly difficult time finding these guys here. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tcbemis has started on the right path
Default Calci worms

Does anyone know of a good supplier in the US? I'm having a disturbingly difficult time finding these guys here.

Also... Does anyone have experience feeding them to spotted salamanders?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

tcbemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014   #2 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information
Default Re: Calci worms

I'm not sure if Calci-worms are all what they are made out to be-
There was a thread on here somewhere talking about them and the fact that a lot of animals can't digest them, maybe someone can find it.

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

You can get them at Petco if you need a small amount or order from Timberline if you need a lot. My fire salamanders ignored them, but they ignore everything but crickets!

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAfFa CaKe View Post
I'm not sure if Calci-worms are all what they are made out to be-
There was a thread on here somewhere talking about them and the fact that a lot of animals can't digest them, maybe someone can find it.
Was this it? The Phoenix Worm Experiment

Old 9th December 2014   #5 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

That's the one Seth!

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I tried numerous species of newt on them and had no joy.They didn't eat em

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ive had good luck feeding them to a few species; T. rivularis, Salamandra, terrestrial T. marms, and Alpines all ate them without issue. I ordered two different sizes to see how they would work out, the smaller size triggered the best feeding response. They were too expensive for me to be a part of a staple diet.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If you live in most of the US, you can 'capture' and grow your own if you like. They are very easy to attract to a compost bin. Or you can pay a bunch of money and invest in the Biopod: Prota™Culture & The BioPod™ - Advanced Composting Using Black Soldier Fly: The Future of Food Waste Diversion & Recycling

Just google 'black soldier fly' for more info. We use these guys to rip through our kitchen waste. My newts actually refuse to eat them, but they are great food for my tigers.

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack