The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Earthworms

This is a discussion on Earthworms within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Where is a good source to purchase earthworms. My grandfather raised them (nightcrawlers), but he is not around anymore. (I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2004   #1 (permalink)
pamela

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Where is a good source to purchase earthworms. My grandfather raised them (nightcrawlers), but he is not around anymore. (I acutally miss finding them roaming around in the frig occasionally - grandma sure as heck didn't though!)

Are bait shops good, or bad, resources?

I will also be acquiring waxworms. It appears that they are much more nutritional, and better digested, than are mealworms (?).

(Too feed c.orientalis, and T. Granulosa)

Thank you.

Old 12th November 2004   #2 (permalink)
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Bait shop worms are good. In fact, the tubs of worms sold in most pet shops are just bait worms with the price marked up.

The other resources:
1) Pet shops sell "Canadian Nightcrawlers." Do not get the "red wigglers"--Tarichas eat them under desperation, but the Cynops orientalis may not accept this type of worm due to its unpleasant yellow discharge.

2)"Walmart" has a fishing section, which apparently sells worms. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th November 2004   #3 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Regarding waxworms, they are good. I don't know if they are better nutritionally, but they are more eagerly eaten by sals. If you find they are too big, you can also try housefly grubs (a.k.a. maggots or spikes). I get them occasionally from grubco.com. Spikes (and a similar grub called a mousee) are used for ice fishing, so you can find them on eBay in winter.

By the way, here's a link to a PDF with very good information on the nutritional values of various insects:
http://www.nagonline.net/Technical%20Papers/NAGFS00397Insects-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf

Old 12th November 2004   #4 (permalink)
pamela

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you Pin-pin and Jennifer! I shall begin my source search.

Yummmm!

Old 15th June 2005   #5 (permalink)
grant

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I use red wigglers for my axie and he loves them. Although most don't (from what I hear). I get my earthworms from Walmart I forget what they cost but they're pretty cheap compared to pet stores. And I occasionally feed waxworms but as with any larvae they are a lot more fatty than some other foods.

Old 15th June 2005   #6 (permalink)
jameswei

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Pamela you can aquire nightcrawlers at your local walmart, petco, or online www.bigappleherp.com

there are plenty of other sites to go to.

(Message edited by newtron on June 15, 2005)

Old 24th April 2007   #7 (permalink)
peterj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My Axies all seem to like red wrigglers.

(Message edited by peterj on April 24, 2007)

Tags
earthworms

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 38 (Set)

1210, Anna F, AsiaNicole, Bobillion, Braden, CassMarie, caudatadude28, CJ1981, cynopsis, Daniroolz, eFaN, emmy1500, endempire, Florieke, funckychic, gary123, Jackulwulf, Jumbuck, Ken Worthington, Liorah, lisordactyl, maddaz, MaDsci, makis, miykael81, my axie007, Nattles88, nora, peatea, petro, pookiewn, Risigan, rjmcm, Saint Splatterg, Sanjan, Springlizard, Stangchang, underzealous
LinkBack