The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Waxworm problem

This is a discussion on Waxworm problem within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a container of wax worms and I noticed that about half of them have black dots on them. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2005   #1 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have a container of wax worms and I noticed that about half of them have black dots on them. They almost look like specks that can be removed but they are adhered to their skin. Could this be a disease or fungus of some sort? I don't believe that it has anything to do with metamorphosis because both the large and very small waxworms have this. At the time I have not fed any of these to my animals, I want to be careful. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Old 19th April 2005   #2 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mites?

Old 20th April 2005   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have noticed this black speckling on shop bought waxworms many times, although I dont think Ive ever had it on any home cultured waxies.
I have always still used the speckled waxworms as food items, and have never had a problem with them.

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005   #4 (permalink)
adam

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I too have never had a problem with using these waxworms.

Old 21st April 2005   #5 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the replies. I will probably use these waxworms soon.

Tags
problem, waxworm

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23 (Set)

Anna F, Babidi, CassMarie, caudatadude28, Chinadog, chris6689, damien, Daniel, Davo, Denikar, distefan, emmy1500, firedreams, greabo, Greewok, Janies880, Jess, kaze, Ken Worthington, KingCanon, newtItoad, newtron, skyler
LinkBack