The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

waxworm cocoon?

This is a discussion on waxworm cocoon? within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; my waxworms aren't lasting long before they get a kind of a cocoon around their front halves and then instead ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: xenopus has started on the right path
Default waxworm cocoon?

my waxworms aren't lasting long before they get a kind of a cocoon around their front halves and then instead of turning into beetles or whatever they just die....and smell ? why are they dying?

[IMG]http://img210.**************/img210/635/dsc00243ab6.jpg[/IMG]

xenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I believe it's a humidity issue. How do you store your waxworms? I keep mine in the fridge. Some times they last for weeks.

Old 11th February 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: xenopus has started on the right path

i havent kept them in the fridge for fear that they would freeze because i had put some worms in there and they kinda froze poor things, but i dont want to mess with the temp because its not my fridge (i live with someone else) it shouldn't be too humid there just in a plastic "shoe box" with a plastic lid with lots of holes slashed into the top of it,for air, sitting next to the frog tank with only the wood shavings they came in ...ill be going easy on the wax worms though my frogs were ,well i dont want to say skinny because that would sound like they were unhealthy, but they were smaller one day and fat the next it happened that fast lol

xenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Waxworms don't last very long if they're not kept cool.

Tags
cocoon, waxworm

LinkBack