The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

meal worm pupa

This is a discussion on meal worm pupa within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have a load of mealworms that me and my family feed to the various newts around the house (when ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Littlelotl has shown reliable knowledgeLittlelotl has shown reliable knowledge
Default meal worm pupa

I have a load of mealworms that me and my family feed to the various newts around the house (when they have just molted and with no head) anyway I have loads left and over half have molted to pupa I was wondering if these would be ok to feed heads on? as I cannot see any obvious mouth parts I will pick the white ones also when these turn to beetles will the beetles need heads off as well (again I am refering to the newly morphed ones due to the shells). I hate decaptiating them and theoretically the best neutriants are going to be in the head right?

Littlelotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: meal worm pupa

Feeding out the white ones at any life stage is fine, even with their heads on. It's around ph 1 in your newts stomach so no bug should last very long. White pupae are fine but feel them in your fingers first to see how "spiky" they are. If the exoskeleton has toughened I would avoid them. The newly hatched beetles are more of an orange colour but still soft enough to use with the right sized newt.

You should avoid using mealworms as a staple as they are not nutritionally complete.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Littlelotl has shown reliable knowledgeLittlelotl has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: meal worm pupa

Thanks for that, I dont use as a stable Its the worms that tend to get a hammering I only use them as a treat (and then dusted) thats why they are now pupa . If anything I tend to over do the waxworm (I know they are a bit fatty) though I have just bought some fruitbeetle larvae which I intend to culture so these might over take the waxworm for the larger tigers and axies as they seem to be doing well (where as I always have to by the waxworms my attempts at culturing never seem to work out)

So white isnt good enough I have to check that they are soft /non prickley and pupa/ beetles are fine with out beheading (I think I will still do this for the grubs as I dont like the look of those jaws).

Thanks again

Littlelotl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meal, pupa, worm

LinkBack