The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

mousies (syrphid fly larvae)

This is a discussion on mousies (syrphid fly larvae) within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Grumpet went ice fishing and left me with some containers of "mousies." They look like waxworms with a string on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2009   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default mousies (syrphid fly larvae)

Grumpet went ice fishing and left me with some containers of "mousies." They look like waxworms with a string on the end, anyone ever try them?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: mousies (syrphid fly larvae)

I haven´t tried them, but since ( i think) these larvae eat detritus, and therefore should have weak mandibles, they should be fine to use.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009   #3 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: BILLY JAMES has shown reliable knowledge

In the uk we call them rat tailed maggots.They are a larvae of a species of hover fly.
Click the image to open in full size.

I have feed one before to a crested newt with no problems but they are usualy from polluted waters.

BILLY JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Maybe I'll just feed them to the lizards rather than risk Eddie and Elektra with polluted maggot strings.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(syrphid, fly, larvae, larvae), mousies, syrphid

LinkBack