The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

You can raise/breed waxworms (waxmoths)

This is a discussion on You can raise/breed waxworms (waxmoths) within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; For some of you who live in the U.S., you can buy Waxmoth diet so all you do is buy ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: keithp has given consistently good advice and informationkeithp has given consistently good advice and informationkeithp has given consistently good advice and information
Default You can raise/breed waxworms (waxmoths)

For some of you who live in the U.S., you can buy Waxmoth diet so all you do is buy waxworms, pour the artificial diet in a tank, let the waxworms eat and pupate, and after the moths emerge they mate and lay eggs in the artificial diet. The waxworms leave a thin trail of silk on the bottom so after a while you need to add new food but it takes a while for this to happen.

Warning, do not have in a hot place, the diet (mainly wax) and the waxworms will melt if they get too hot. I raised them and this started to happen all I did was move the tank to a slightly cooler area and they were fine as long as the room is not too cold.

kit- http://www.enasco.com/product/LM00196M
artificial diet- http://www.enasco.com/product/SB07054(LM)M

keithp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Aimee has shown reliable knowledgeAimee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: You can raise/breed waxworms (waxmoths)

Whilst searching the threads I came upon this post and have a few questions to add...

I've also heard of using oatmeal and honey as a media for waxmoth culturing...would you say this is sufficient?

What temp ranges would you recommend? I'm assuming room temperature is too cold. What heating methods do you use?

How large of a container should x amount of worms be kept in?

How long does it take for the larvae to mature into moths?

Any advice for a newb?

Last edited by Aimee; 30th September 2009 at 05:01. Reason: grammar correction
Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: damien has given consistently good advice and informationdamien has given consistently good advice and informationdamien has given consistently good advice and information

I use the same method as found on Alan Cann's blog.
It uses honey as one of the ingredients and some cerial stuff (forgot the english names) and some other things. It works really well and it is very cheap as well.
I kept them on room temperature (around 23 degrees celcius) and they breed like crazy. In the winter they should've been warmer since the culture was going very slow.

Alan's site can be found here.
It doesn't load for me at the moment, but that can be my connection at work.

damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #4 (permalink)
AJC
(ajc)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: ajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgajc is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hmm, looks like Virgin has broken my old website, so I've posted the waxmoth culture information again here:

AJCs Virtual Frogroom: Waxmoth Larvae

ajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(waxmoths), raise or breed, raise/breed, waxmoths, waxworms

LinkBack