The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How to keep superworms?

This is a discussion on How to keep superworms? within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I have just received an order of crickets, mealworms, waxworms and superworms, I ordered this in bulk mostly for my ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2009   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default How to keep superworms?

I have just received an order of crickets, mealworms, waxworms and superworms, I ordered this in bulk mostly for my reptiles.

I have no idea how to house the superworms, they came in a cardboard box with pieces of egg crate. The crickets and other worms had a cool pack in their box but the superworms didn't so I'd assume they don't need to be refrigerated, other than that I am unsure whether to put them in a plastic shoebox container with oats like I do my mealworms or if there is a specific way to keep them. I have browsed the internet without much success.

Any help will be appreciated.

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the Stars...
madeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11
Default Re: How to keep superworms?

You don't want to refrigerate them. They're a tropical insect larvae so the fridge will kill them. As for what to house them in you'll certainly want to put them in plastic. When I worked at Petco the scary things would chew through the plastic tubs to escape by widening the tiny, tiny air holes... Superworms creep me out. I found this article on breeding them but it also has details on simple housing.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: madeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmadeve is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Great, thanks for that link and info, very useful!!!

Old 25th June 2009   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I buy them in the tall petco tubs and keep them in there. There is a large gap between the substrate and the lid so the can't reach it to widen the holes.
Old 25th June 2009   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I always used glass one gallon pickle jars myself. The metal lids keep gnawing escapes down to nil.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 6
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I had a few get loose in my basements and eat holes through my jeans that were on the floor waiting to get washed. They eat anything
Coastal Groovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009   #7 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

I put mine in a plastic shoebox container, what kind of substrate should I use?

Old 26th June 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

I use a mixture of cornmeal and quick oats as a substrate.
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
superworms