The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Can't breed mealworms :(

This is a discussion on Can't breed mealworms :( within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi, I bought some mealworms from the pet store for my Axolotl and there also good for feeding to tarantulas ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Petchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't breed mealworms :(

Hi,
I bought some mealworms from the pet store for my Axolotl and there also good for feeding to tarantulas i've found out.
Anyways I tried to breed them I but them in a container full of rolled oats they got quite large and them they went into cocoons. I put the cocoons into a seperate container and when they hatched out they where retarded and deformed. there shell was half off and there wings where exposed some there back was completely missing and all they had was there wings for protection. Four days later they where all dead. What did I do wrong?

Petchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: olmrudyk has started on the right path
Default Re: Can't breed mealworms :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petchy View Post
Hi,
I bought some mealworms from the pet store for my Axolotl and there also good for feeding to tarantulas i've found out.
Anyways I tried to breed them I but them in a container full of rolled oats they got quite large and them they went into cocoons. I put the cocoons into a seperate container and when they hatched out they where retarded and deformed. there shell was half off and there wings where exposed some there back was completely missing and all they had was there wings for protection. Four days later they where all dead. What did I do wrong?
Hello Petchy,
I think you have bougth mealworms treated with hormones ( for faster grow and larger size).Very often in pet stors here, in US, too
Hormonated mealworms are 2-3 times bigger, but not able to finish their life cycle.

olmrudyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

it says on the container that there hormone free though

Old 8th March 2010   #4 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Petchy,

Mealworms need to be dry, but ultra-dry wintertime houshold air may cause what you describe. Super worms, the much larger species, need a moist environment if they are to pupate.

Mealworms are not the best choice for axolotls...however, if you feed them well tey will molt often, and the newly molted (white) grubs are fine in small numbers. You can also feed the beetles to axolotls as an occassional treat. Be sure to feed the mealworms well, in order to improve their nutritional value - please see my article on Raising Mealworms for more details.

Good luck!

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks mate
I'm currently about to get a scorpion and will be feeding mealworms to him aswell.
I know that mealworms arn't the best choice for axies but I can't get a hold of any earthworms right now

Old 27th April 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: codyj is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest brine shrimp for your axolotl's as they seem to love them. But as far as mealworms go, a few years back I purchased 500 mealworms. After a few months I had thousands of them. I kept them in oats in a plastic shoebox (with holes on top) and would feed them vegetables such as lettuce, potato, and carrots. I would put your beetles into a new colony and after a few weeks change their oats as they will eat their babies.

codyj is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack