The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Waxworms biting?

This is a discussion on Waxworms biting? within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I've got some waxworms on order as a supplement for my axolotls. I just wanted to check I don't need ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: siona has shown reliable knowledgesiona has shown reliable knowledge
Default Waxworms biting?

I've got some waxworms on order as a supplement for my axolotls. I just wanted to check I don't need to squish their heads or anything before feeding - I've read about other grub-type things biting their insides! So do I just feed them live?

siona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 8
Rep: legardored is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waxworms biting?

waxworms are the kind you want to squish the heads. you said the reasons already.

j.

legardored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Dog Shrink has shown reliable knowledge

I have heard the stories time and again with mealworms superworms and some other feeders biting the insides of our herps/amphibs and find it to be a lot of hooie honestly. If a feeder insect can survive the trip thru the mouth let alone the stomach acids to bite our animals then they're superbug imo. Wax worms are delicate feeders wtih no shell that are damaged/killed easily. I really don't think there's a need to squish it's head to help protect your amphib. My mediterrenean gecko which is like 3-ish inches long eats adult waxies no problem, so does my adult leopard gecko.

Dog Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Waxworms have very soft jaws and don't need to be squished.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: AlienFirefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Just dont feed your axies to many 2 or 3 a week no more there very high in fat and they'll either spew it up or have serious liver problems. I am trying to get a hold of some myself because when I want to go away I can feed them a few along with there normal feeding and they'll be sustained for a week while im away instead of having to get friends to do it for me. Problem is waxwoms are extremely difficult to find in Australia even though I heard they native to Australia but originated from China hundreds of years ago.

AlienFirefox is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack