The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The Proof is in the Doody!

This is a discussion on The Proof is in the Doody! within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Undeniable proof that Waxworms can be hard to digest. I've found several instances of scat from my Tiger Salamander having ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nwmnnaturalist
  • 1 Post By Coastal Groovin
  • 1 Post By freves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: nwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgnwmnnaturalist is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default The Proof is in the Doody!

Undeniable proof that Waxworms can be hard to digest. I've found several instances of scat from my Tiger Salamander having a whole or nearly whole Waxworm in it. No worries! She's on earthworms now. ^^

Waxworms may still be appropriate for other critters, with more potent digestive systems, but it seems for most critters that don't actually chew, the caterpillars remain fairly whole.
Attached Thumbnails
The Proof is in the Doody!-pooworm.jpg  

nwmnnaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: The Proof is in the Doody!

I have never seen a wax worm pass though any of my salamanders like that before.

Old 12th December 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

When feeding waxworms to caudates I always cut them open first in order to make digestion easier. As written in numerous places they should never be used as a staple diet anyway but make a great treat when fed sparingly. I also use them to fatten up emaciated imports (lizards and salamanders).
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillYannone View Post
I have never seen a wax worm pass though any of my salamanders like that before.
Ditto this....

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

Old 13th December 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I nearly lost a salamander because of wax worms. I only feed the lesser variety now.

Waxworms causing problems?

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Helena has started on the right path

Hi,

The crickets are very bad right now, they are affected by a disease that gets under their exoskeleton and kills them. I have fire bellied toads and had to resort to buying them mealworms to eat instead. I was just wondering what i should feed the mealworms to keep them alive.

- Thanks!

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Munfy is an unknown quantity at this point

All you need to keep your mealworms happy is some oatmeat or qucik oats or a combimation of the 2 you can keep them in a kritter keeper with the oats as substrate and just put the occasinal apple orangne or even potato slice for moisture and to add nutriaents. If they dont have enoug moisture they will bite there tank mates and suck the water from them until they die, if they pupate dont worry they will still move enough to produce a feeding response and are actualy much plumper and a fovorite treat for my beardy, I might also suggest isopods also known as wood lice they are a great calcium source and another recently discovered favorite.

Munfy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack