The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Lesser Waxworms

This is a discussion on Lesser Waxworms within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Has anyone worked with the Lesser Waxworm before? Also known as the pink waxworm? I got my hands on 4 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SmallPetFeeders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lesser Waxworms

Has anyone worked with the Lesser Waxworm before? Also known as the pink waxworm? I got my hands on 4 cultures finally, but would like to know what these things look like, because the cultures seem to be producing mini-moths quite quickly, but I can't see any dang worms. They must be SMALL!

Also if anyone has a large number of these guys, I'd love to trade you for them. I have just about every feeder bug you need :-)

-Dave
SPF

SmallPetFeeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Lesser Waxworms

Take a look at this article

Waxmoths

when the cultures are producing the larvae they do start off really tiny, but grow quickly, at which time they will climb the sides of the culture vessel, or will congregate in the paper towels or whatever you use.
as long as you have moths, you will have lots of eggs, so the larvae will soon be plentifull, and you will be able to start many more cultures

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: olmrudyk has started on the right path
Default Re: Lesser Waxworms

Hello Dave,
I was breeding 3-4 kinds of moths. When the medium was good, the Lesser Wax worm, Achroia sp. Was reachng about 2+cm long Thatís not much less then a regular size of commercial Greater Wax worm Galleria melonella. With its maximum size close to 3cm Galleria is always more fatty and is 2 - 4 times heavier than Achroia is. Lesser wax worm is a great feeder: same as tasty ( if not better) and much more hard and easy then Galleria. I was breeding Achroia for 2 or 3 years and never saw it pink. A pink color has another moth, that I bred for just one season. I think it was Indian Meal moth, Plodia sp. Usually Plodia is under 1 cm. Itís also easy to cultivate, but much less prolific and far not as tasty for animals as Galleria or Achroia are.
Alex

olmrudyk is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack