The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What happened to my mealworms?

This is a discussion on What happened to my mealworms? within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; I'm not sure if I got this right, but I fed some mealworms a sample of some high calcium local ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Neonetic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happened to my mealworms?

I'm not sure if I got this right, but I fed some mealworms a sample of some high calcium local vegetables, kailan and endives, hours later, they were curled up in a C shape and have remained still ever since, though they seem to still be alive.

I will test another portion of this mixture on some small lobster roaches.

Bad batch? Calcium poisoning?

Anyone knows what happened? So much for gutloading.

Neonetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: What happened to my mealworms?

Probably pupating, or at least shedding as they grow, but I'd bet on the former.

"kailan" = kale? [ie, cabbage by another name, as so many vegetables are]

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: What happened to my mealworms?

I have mealworm colonies, and it sounds like they're pupating. The C shape is a sure sign of it. They lie out flat when they're dying. If they ate the food, it's not because of that. You can force them to pupate by starving them, but they'll pupate sooner or later anyway because of their growth cycle. They were just ready to pupate, that's all. There is nothing wrong with kale as a food source. I'm not nearly so careful with my feeding. I usually feed the fibrous stems of kale and collard greens to my colonies, as well as carrots and oat bran.

Mealworms pupate very easily, even when you don't want them to. That's why mealworm colonies are so easy to start.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack