The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Vitamise waxmoth larvae

This is a discussion on Vitamise waxmoth larvae within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; This is more of a question for the Pro's . If i were to sprinkle lesser waxmoth larvae culturing media ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alexps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Vitamise waxmoth larvae

This is more of a question for the Pro's . If i were to sprinkle lesser waxmoth larvae culturing media with Nutrabol or mixed it in to the medium,would this boost the calcium vitamin d etc of the lesser waxmoth itself ?
I realise isopods are a good source of calcium,and sprinkling crickets with nutrabol increases their nutritional value.But theres lots of snow here and finding isopods or buying/culturing them is a bit unrealistic at the moment.
I am feeding some of my newts hatchling crickets but when i dust them they seem to die because they are so small(must be the dust)
would sprinkling a few pinches into a lesserwaxmoth culture make them more calcium rich or kill them off,Or do nothing?

May be a silly question,thought i would ask all the same
thanks

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Vesp has given good advice and informationVesp has given good advice and informationVesp has given good advice and information
Default Re: Vitamise waxmoth larvae

It might be possible if you can get the worms to eat it, this would be known as gut loading.
Gut loading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you not able to put the dust on the waxworms themselves?

Vesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I dont know if the dust would stay on them prior to feeding but i could mix the nutrabol dust with the honey as i mix it into the medium.That way the worms would have no choice but to ingest ,i would hope this would be passed on to the newt??

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: alexps is an unknown quantity at this point

I dip my wax worms in a small amount of water then in to the vitamin power then feed them this only works for the newts that feed on land lol I did think about injecting directly into the wax worms but the dipping works for me

alexps is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack