The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How long can a newt last on (mostly) mealworms?

This is a discussion on How long can a newt last on (mostly) mealworms? within the Waxworms, Mealworms, Maggots, etc forums, part of the Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc category; Hi! i got two smooth newts which i just had a few months and ive been feeding them wild bugs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zhinigami is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can a newt last on (mostly) mealworms?

Hi!
i got two smooth newts which i just had a few months and ive been feeding them wild bugs and frosen mosquito(?) larvaes and during winter they have been living mainly on mealworms, i knew this aint the best food but it,s been a snowy and cold winter so i have only found a few wild insects to feed them! is it dangeroues to go with this food only? even if its powdered a few times a week? i only give them the organs and not the head too.
i have ordered a few cultures of different bugs and flyes which i will start to feed them but they will come at fastest possible in a week.

Zhinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: How long can a newt last on (mostly) mealworms?

It's not dangerous in the short term. If you're dusting the mealworms with a quality vitamin supplement then it will be even less of a problem. Mealworms are high in fat, have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio and tough exoskeletons which can be difficult to digest. They should not be used as a staple. Nutritional deficiencies take a long time to manifest so short term use is unlikely to have any lasting effect.

Are your newts aquatic or terrestrial? Do they feed from tongs or toothpick?

Formulated food such as reptomin sticks or carnivorous fish pellets are a great alternative to live food. The tricky part is getting them to accept it. Once they do you'll never have to worry about food again.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 7
Rep: Coastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCoastal Groovin is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Try to feed the mealworms after they are soft and white after shedding. They will be easier to digest. Feeding the mealworms carrots will help induce them to shed by giving them proper hydration and nutrients.

Old 25th January 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Zhinigami is an unknown quantity at this point

well they are terrestrial and i give them food from a small tong and mostly i only give them the organs (not the exoskeleton) of the mealworm so that won't be a problem i guess.
but i think jackie (on of the newts) gotten a bit fat already
i tryed to feed them some small insects i found in the pond (small, slim, round with long body, with three small tails anyone know what they're called ?) and they loved them! even Draiman who is a bit hard to feed did eat them happily! i will try to feed them more of them instead/and mealworms.

Zhinigami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mealworms, nutrients, smooth

LinkBack