The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Be careful while herping...

This is a discussion on Be careful while herping... within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; Day before yesterday while I was herping, I tripped over a rock and found a very special animal underneath it, ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 5 Post By Niels D
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes
  • 1 Post By supergrappler
  • 1 Post By Cloppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2017   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Wink Be careful while herping...

Day before yesterday while I was herping, I tripped over a rock and found a very special animal underneath it, a Deathstalker (Leiurus quinquestriatus). It is either one of or the most toxic/dangerous scorpion in the world, but luckily for me, it was either hibernating or dead underneath said rock. Here's the photo I snagged of it while I was scrambling to identify it:
Attached Thumbnails
Be careful while herping...-dsc07166.jpg  

Old 21st February 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Be careful while herping...

Awesome. There aren't that many threats in The Netherlands. I fell over a stick once....

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice. Best I've done is Uroctonus mordax, inches from the icy water inhabited by Rhyacotriton cascadae, Ascaphus truei, and Dicamptodon spp.! No, wait...that's not quite true. I found dozens of scorpions in May of 2015, including 3 or 4 Centruroides sculpturatus south of Tucson. Not remotely as dangerous as Leiurus, nor as exciting as finding Uroctonus while hunting salamanders though.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has shown reliable knowledge

Whoa what an alarming find! Good thing it was in a dormant state. I often encounter Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes when herping. Always got to tread lightly and cautiously.

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017   #5 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path

Glad it was not alert ! Where I live there are not many dangerous things if you are herping on land away from water.

Tags
careful, deathstalker, herping, scorpion

LinkBack