The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley

This is a discussion on Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; I don't feel the need to get fancy with the rhetoric here. I went out road cruising tonight when a ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Jefferson
  • 1 Post By Cloppy
  • 3 Post By Jefferson
  • 3 Post By Jefferson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and information
Default Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley

I don't feel the need to get fancy with the rhetoric here. I went out road cruising tonight when a rain came over the hills from West Virginia, and the results on the mole salamander side of things were epic despite the lack of plethodons on the roads tonight. Here in the rustic Shenandoah Valley, as a light drizzle fell on the leaf litter, I saw about eighteen Wood Frogs, four Spotted Salamanders, and one Jefferson Salamander. Pictures are below. Happy herpin' and here's to an early spring in spite of the Groundhog!
Jefferson
Attached Thumbnails
Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2516.jpg   Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2517.jpg   Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2518.jpg   Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2519.jpg   Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2515.jpg  

Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley-img_2512.jpg  
Old 1st March 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path
Default Re: Road cruising the Shenandoah Valley

Nice little spotted salamander you found there!
Old 1st March 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jazzy says yarr has shown reliable knowledgeJazzy says yarr has shown reliable knowledge

Beautiful finds!
Jazzy says yarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice finds! Really interesting looking Jefferson sal. Lots of past injuries on its tail as well. I always wonder what those are from...raccoons? Shrew moles? Other salamanders? Its interesting stuff. One thing i've noticed about the two Ambystoma here (A. gracile and A. m. macrodactylum) is that the macrodactylum always have significantly more injuries on the tail than the gracile, something i can't explain. Perhaps the lack of poison glands on the tail of macrodactylum make it more susceptible to attack?
Old 1st March 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and informationJefferson has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, maybe the lack of aposematic warning coloration on the Jefferson Salamander as opposed to the Spotted makes it more vulnerable to predators.
Old 7th March 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Seeing as my username is Jefferson and I finally got a good shot of one, this is my new profile picture.