The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salamandra atra

This is a discussion on Salamandra atra within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; I spend the Pentecost-holidays to visit the alps. This was not a field herping trip, just for recreational purpose. Nevertheless ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jensino
  • 2 Post By Blackbun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jensino has started on the right path
Default Salamandra atra

I spend the Pentecost-holidays to visit the alps. This was not a field herping trip, just for recreational purpose. Nevertheless I had the luck to discover some alpine salamanders. When they recognised me, they flee very quick and hide under rocks. But I managed to get at least one picture that isn't total shaky.
The other pictures show the landscape and maybe give you some inspiration for your vivariums.
Attached Thumbnails
Salamandra atra-pict0010-2-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-bergtour-097-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-bergtour-098-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-pict0028-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-pict0036-kopie.jpg  

Salamandra atra-pict0085-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-pict0073-kopie.jpg   Salamandra atra-pict0072-kopie.jpg  

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Salamandra atra

Cool find ! I havn't seen them in the wild yet.
j.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jensino has started on the right path
Default AW: Salamandra atra

Thanks juraj,

for me it was the first time to see them in their natural environment. The weather was misty and it was 11:30 am when I found them. Fortunately, later that day the weather cleared up and became more sunny with great views. But the salamanders definitely prefer the more foggy weather.
The altitude was approximately 1,500 m.

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Salamandra atra

Jensino thank you for sharing these pictures. I keep S. a. atra and I find these photos of immense importance in helping me to better understand the needs of my animals. Looks like you had a wonderful holiday in the fresh air with beautiful scenery.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: AW: Salamandra atra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensino View Post
The weather was misty and it was 11:30 am when I found them. Fortunately, later that day the weather cleared up and became more sunny with great views. But the salamanders definitely prefer the more foggy weather.
The altitude was approximately 1,500 m.
Thanks a lot ! That's what I wanted to ask for.
Best regards
j.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack