The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

central WI Herping Bonanza

This is a discussion on central WI Herping Bonanza within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; Sorry, no amphibians, but I thought I would share the pictures I took of these reptiles me, and 2 other ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2008   #1 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 0
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information
Default central WI Herping Bonanza

Sorry, no amphibians, but I thought I would share the pictures I took of these reptiles me, and 2 other Wisconsin herpers found.

These were all lifers for me, and rarer Wisconsin herps for that matter(except the Garter snakes and leopard Frog)

first we found an Ornate Box Turtle, an endangered species of WI
Click the image to open in full size.
We found 2 more later in the day, but my camera decided to take a dump on me.

Next was a Prairie Racerunner, not to common in WI
stunning colors on these little lizards
We found one more, but as I said before, camera took a dump.

Soon after that, we came upon this fella.
a Blue racer, Protected in WI
we found 2 more under some tin before we left, but my camera....

We also stopped at a place for Northern Water snakes, it's a common snake, but they are the first ones I've seen in the wild, we found around 5, but my camera wasn't working when we found them.

Thanks for looking!

Old 8th June 2008   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: central WI Herping Bonanza

Very nice, Dane. How did you catch the racerunner? I can never catch small lizards.

Old 8th June 2008   #3 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

He was under tin, and it was still early in the morning, so he hadn't quite warmed up yet, but he was still a fast one. He took off when we lifted the tin and then we herded him back to the tin and lifted it back up and snatched him quick.

Old 8th June 2008   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

Very cool, Dane! If you were at the place I'm thinking of (public property near a city with 8 letters), it's one of my favorite places in Wisconsin to herp, though I'd only been there 3 times. Great pictures, especially the box turtle! I've found them down here, but it's just not the same as Wisconsin; Ornates are one of the species I'd really wanted to find but never got lucky enough to do so.

Very attractive reptiles all around though!

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008   #5 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If I'm ever in Wisconsin you'll have to take me herping .

Old 8th June 2008   #6 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Oh yeah, WI has some awesome diversity herp wise.

Tags
bonanza, central, herping

LinkBack