The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

North Georgia

This is a discussion on North Georgia within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; I recently got back from a three day backpacking trip in Northern Georgia (almost in Tennessee) and I thought I'd ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Comments: 0
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default North Georgia

I recently got back from a three day backpacking trip in Northern Georgia (almost in Tennessee) and I thought I'd share a few of the photos I took. I'm not very good with identifying Eastern species, so I'm not going to ID anything. I'll just post them up and let the experts guess My traveling companions were a botanist, an entomologist, and a dog, so they weren't much help with the herps.

Anyway, it was a really nice trip. The trail actually starts on the top of a ridge, then drops down slowly to the river valley. Multiple small side streams feed into the river along the way until it becomes a respectable size. I think we crossed the river about 25 times - some of the crossings were a little hairy with a heavy pack.

North Georgia-hiking.jpgNorth Georgia-low-river.jpgNorth Georgia-rivermid.jpgNorth Georgia-crossing-river.jpg

Some salamanders from the first day. Sorry for the blurry and poor quality pics - I blame the camera and the photographer:

North Georgia-sal1.jpgNorth Georgia-sal3.jpgNorth Georgia-sal4.jpgNorth Georgia-sal5.jpg

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: North Georgia

Both nights, we camped right by the river. I got to go salamander hunting while everyone else helped set up the tent. These guys were found a little bit above the river's edge, on the valley slopes:

North Georgia-sal6.jpgNorth Georgia-sal7.jpgNorth Georgia-sal8.jpg

Some shots of the river near camp:

North Georgia-camp1.jpgNorth Georgia-camp2.jpg

Salamanders from day two and three:

North Georgia-sal9.jpgNorth Georgia-sal10.jpgNorth Georgia-sal11.jpg

On the night of day two, it rained from about 4pm until two in the morning. We put on our headlamps and went out looking for critters. Unfortunately, my camera is extra non-waterproof so I had to leave it behind, but our camp was crawling with salamanders - it was hard to just walk without stepping on them. I caught one of the largest slimy salamanders I've ever seen. Not such a good night for making dinner, but a great night for herping.

Old 18th May 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Then we had to leave Some shots of the forest after a night of rain:

North Georgia-upper-river.jpgNorth Georgia-mist.jpg

And yours truly, looking lovely after two days of rain and mud:

North Georgia-me.jpg

Thanks for looking! Take a shot at ID'ing those guys.

Old 18th May 2009   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information

Nice finds. Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm probably no expert, but it looks like you found alot of duskies. I won't even try to identify the specific species.

Old 18th May 2009   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Looks like a great trip! The second photo on Day 2 is a slimy salamander (probably P. glutinosus).

Old 18th May 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Yes, looks like a bunch of Desmognathus. Third last photo looks like a Hemidactylium scutatum. And you have a Slimy in there, as Jen pointed out. It's possible one or more of those "Desmognathus" is a Gyrinophilus porphyriticus.

Old 18th May 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

And by the way, thanks for sharing!

Old 18th May 2009   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Sal 4 looks like it could be a pygmy sal.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks for the guesses on the ID's. The only one I'm sure about is P. glutinosus. My husband also found a large, completely black salamander... or so he says I didn't get a good look at it, but I was wondering what it could possibly be. My guide book is not giving me anything that fits.

Old 18th May 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: marco has shown reliable knowledgemarco has shown reliable knowledge

Very nice pictures, looks like a good trip.

Would I be right in guessing that those salamanders breathe through their skin? Looks like an exesivley humid/damp place.

marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

The black sal could've been a dozen different things. Unspotted Ambystoma maculatum, blackbellied sal, lightly pigmented slimy.

Marco, yes, the vast majority of salamanders in this region are lungless.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia, north, trip

LinkBack