The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dusky Salamander

This is a discussion on Dusky Salamander within the Field Herping Accounts forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; I went out for a quick hike in a state park in Monroe County, Ohio. I did very minimal searching ...

Field Herping Accounts Share your field herpetology experiences with accounts/articles, photos, and advice.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yahilles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cainschams has given good advice and informationCainschams has given good advice and information
Default Dusky Salamander

I went out for a quick hike in a state park in Monroe County, Ohio. I did very minimal searching for amphibians because of time restraints and us wanting to hike through the stream. Lots of high rock walls and fun, treturous terrain. Its also not my favorite place to go hunting for salamanders but it does have the normally seen species.

Here are a couple photos of the stream. As you can see its been raining quite a bit lately.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Redback Salamander.

And the best picture I took all day, of course not of the salamander, a Northern Green Frog, Rana clamitans melanota.

It seems I can only get decent pics when the sun is out, which wasnt today. This and being in a hurry made for some lousy pics but I thought I would share anyway. Hope you guys enjoy! There will be lots more to come.

Last edited by Azhael; 19th April 2011 at 11:10. Reason: Edited out specific locality data.
Cainschams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Redback Salamander, Plethodon cinereus

Very nice photos, but the animal depicted is not the redback salamander, but some species of dusky salamander - Desmognathus fuscus or Desmognathus ochrophaeus.

Old 19th April 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That was my thought too. Not flat enough, too much jaw muscle, and the color and pattern doesn't look Plethodon either. Salamanders of Ohio lists only D.fuscus in Monroe County, although D.ochrophaeus is found outside the state not much further east.

Last edited by FrogEyes; 19th April 2011 at 11:02.
FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Cainschams has given good advice and informationCainschams has given good advice and information

Ahh, thanks guys!!! You are correct, it is not a Redback and I do think it is D. ochrophaeus although it does not show them being in Monroe County. Here is what I used to try to get an ID, Ohio Salamander Species. The only salamander without a pic was the D. ochrophaeus. I had thought it didnt look exactly like a Redback but D. ochrophaeus not being known in Monroe County threw me off. Ive hunted salamanders forever but have not really been too enthusiastic about identifying them. Bear with me!!

Should I report seeing this species in Monroe County?

Here is the pic of the frog that I forgot

Cainschams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

As for the dusky, you should report that to your local DNR office. But range maps are notoriously inaccurate, mostly because they haven't been surveyed!

Last edited by Kaysie; 21st April 2011 at 15:11. Reason: You already IDed the frog, d'oh!
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I was thinking D.ochrophaeus, but I have my doubts. Based on the photos and the general circumstances, the habitat is closer to D.fuscus habitat. I can't tell the thickness of the tail base from the photo, and can't draw a conclusion from that. The tail though, looks like it has a dorsal ridge, which is consistent with D.fuscus.

It's alwyas worth documenting, but It would be ideal to confirm the ID first, if only by clear photos showing the diagnostic features. That is, whole-animal shots from the side and top, and belly if possible, and maybe closeups of body parts like tail and head, and the actual spot where found.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

It looks like Desmognathus fuscus to me. You have a whole heap of caudate beasties in your area of Ohio though. Keep an eye out for Pseudotriton ruber, Gyrinophilus porphyriticus, Eurycea (I think you have cirrigera but it might be bislineata, I'd have to look at a map), Eurycea longicauda, Plethodon glutinosus, Hemidactylium scutatum and then there are the Ambystoma species. Where you're finding Desmogs you should have a shot at Pseudotriton, Gyrinophilus and Eurycea.

John is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack