The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Agkistrodon contortrix behaviour ?

This is a discussion on Agkistrodon contortrix behaviour ? within the Field Herping Discussion forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; Hello. I know this site is mostly amphib oriented but wondered if someone might be able to answer this ? ...

Field Herping Discussion Discuss Field Herping and ask questions about techniques, how to observe certain animals, what kind of habitats they inhabit, etc. Do not post field herping accounts in this sub-topic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MN99 has started on the right path
Default Agkistrodon contortrix behaviour ?

Hello.

I know this site is mostly amphib oriented but wondered if someone might be able to answer this ? for me.

I live in the "land of Agkistrodons"....I moved here about 5 yrs ago. I was careless/ignorant about them a couple of yrs ago and as a result, I was lucky enough to be bitten by a juvenile that was not trained in discharging all its venom on a non-prey item. Since that time I have encountered many of them but I now have a healthy idea of where I will encounter them and I always carry a stick....not to kill....just to tap ground ahead of me or in long grass to ensure I keep my distance from anything slithering :) Question is, in the wild, is it safe to move around a usually snake heavy woodland in the colder months....Nov-March in my area....without encountering these snakes? I'm assuming they go deep into log or rock piles to den over the winter months? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank-you!

MN99 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack