The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Herping for Ambystoma

This is a discussion on Herping for Ambystoma within the Field Herping Discussion forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; So I was wandering were in Georgia you would find marbled and spotted salamanders and what time of year to ...

Field Herping Discussion Discuss Field Herping and ask questions about techniques, how to observe certain animals, what kind of habitats they inhabit, etc. Do not post field herping accounts in this sub-topic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2017   #1 (permalink)
Lungless Salamander Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cloppy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Herping for Ambystoma

So I was wandering were in Georgia you would find marbled and spotted salamanders and what time of year to go looking?

Cloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Herping for Ambystoma

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
caudata.org is mostly about conservation and education, so divulging details of where to find wild populations of a particular species is not allowed. Sorry to be so negative to a new member, so please don't be put off the forum, but there are always people looking to make a fast buck by collecting any species they can get their hands on.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well, ok, but I meant to observe and photograph in the wild not selling.

Old 9th January 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Just to clarify: Chinadog wasn't suggesting that YOU would be selling. The policy for this part of the forum doesn't allow anyone to post locations because everyone in the world could read about those locations, and someone out there might exploit that information.

You may be able to find some information online that would narrow the species' ranges to particular counties.

The best time to go looking would be in early spring when breeding starts. In Georgia, that might be as early as February.

Old 9th January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Okay, thanks!

Old 15th March 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cyprinidae has started on the right path

Looking for Ambytsoma is a blast! I'm surprised Georgia Wildlife doesn't have county maps,
but this one from BioWeb might help you! It's for maculatum, I couldn't find one for other A. spp. Good luck if you're still going out :) Click the image to open in full size.

Cyprinidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cyprinidae has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprinidae View Post
Looking for Ambytsoma is a blast! I'm surprised Georgia Wildlife doesn't have county maps,
but this one from BioWeb might help you! It's for maculatum, I couldn't find one for other A. spp. Good luck if you're still going out :) Click the image to open in full size.
My apologies, I did not see the note about not posting maps. I can't see how to delete this, but maybe a mod can take it down.

Cyprinidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
Just to clarify: Chinadog wasn't suggesting that YOU would be selling. The policy for this part of the forum doesn't allow anyone to post locations because everyone in the world could read about those locations, and someone out there might exploit that information.

You may be able to find some information online that would narrow the species' ranges to particular counties.

The best time to go looking would be in early spring when breeding starts. In Georgia, that might be as early as February.
Does the same rule apply to invasive species? What about Ambystoma Super hybrids that are causing more destruction to native species then a herper ever would?

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack