The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Catching technique?

This is a discussion on Catching technique? within the Field Herping Discussion forums, part of the Fieldwork / Fieldherping category; I was wondering how members here caught aquatic species of caudates such as notos or larvae in lakes and ponds. ...

Field Herping Discussion Discuss Field Herping and ask questions about techniques, how to observe certain animals, what kind of habitats they inhabit, etc. Do not post field herping accounts in this sub-topic.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FredLikesNewts has started on the right path
Default Catching technique?

I was wondering how members here caught aquatic species of caudates such as notos or larvae in lakes and ponds. Is it just a dip net in a hope for the best or are there any tricks and tips to being sucessful?

FredLikesNewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow Re: Catching technique?

Well I don't want to brag,,, but I recently caught some larvae in france from a pond bank with nothing but my bare hands. You can't use speed though, its a slow, gradual scooping of the larva from below and raising it slowly out of the water. Nets are going to be an easy option though, I'm just showing off.
Then I took photos of them in my polarizing filter case, which brings me onto the use of polarizing sunglasses for seeing through water, or camera filters for shooting through water..

Old 28th August 2008   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Catching technique?

Good strong dipnet with a flat edge on the end.

Old 28th August 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

It is forbidden for us to catch local newts, but years ago I sometimes went out to catch Lissotriton vulgaris with my friends, and we'd just sit at the pond edge, staring at the surface. When a newt went to gulp some air, you'd see a slight bulge in the water surface. Then, we'd quickly put a net (something like John described) about 10 to 20 cm underneath the water surface, pull it up et voila...worked 9 out of 10 times.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008   #5 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

For some larvae, grabbing a few handfulls (handsfull?) of wet leaf litter and putting it in a shallow pan of water for sorting works well. This is a common technique for sampling aquatic insects, but works great for caudates too (Pseudotriton, Eurycea, Hemidactylium, Gyrinophilus, Desmognathus, etc.).

-Tim

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I usually use just my hands, because i tend to be un-prepared xDD Otherwise i use a jar and scare them into it, or a net.
In particularly deep water or with a difficult access i use a stick. It takes a lot of pacience but you can actually lift the newt with the stick up to the surface and catch it.

The easiest way is always the net though.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I find dip-netting the leaflitter off the bottom of sloughs in the winter here in GA produces a bucket load of notos.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: FredLikesNewts has started on the right path

Thanks for all of the replies, sorry I could't post sooner as I was away.

And to all of you who have caught them with your hands, thats intense.

FredLikesNewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

I know this threads a little old but I thought I would add that I have had great luck using the cone style minnow traps. The trick with it seems to be the correctly placing it where you would anticipate the larvae to be, along undercut banks, submerged logs, leaf piles, etc. I also throw in a couple of salmon pellets and that seems to help too.

Greatwtehunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catching, technique, technique?

LinkBack