The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Field guides for North American caudates?

This is a discussion on Field guides for North American caudates? within the Herpetological Science & Politics forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; I'm looking for book that can show me all of the North American caudates with species name and location. I ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jewett
  • 2 Post By Rupert
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: punctata has given good advice and informationpunctata has given good advice and informationpunctata has given good advice and information
Default Field guides for North American caudates?

I'm looking for book that can show me all of the North American caudates with species name and location. I am struggling to find a very good field guide that can identify all species and habitat areas.
Thank you

punctata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Field guides for North American caudates?

It would be a bit big to use as a field guide but I don't think you can go wrong with Petranka's Salamanders of the United States and Canada.

The field guide I used as a wee undergrad was Peterson's A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians. These are regional, however, and you will need more than one book if you want to cover the whole of North America. Also, not caudate specific but I thought still useful.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Rupert has shown reliable knowledgeRupert has shown reliable knowledge

I still have a copy of "The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians."

It's a bit dated, but the range and photos are still excellent.

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Petersen's is the best bet for field guides, although you need two. Petranka is a must-have, but not practical for a field guide, and a bit dated now. Urodeles du Monde is comprehensive, but too big for the "field", and it's in French. Salamanders of the Southeast and Salamanders of Ohio are two excellent backups that cover a lot of eastern species. Otherwise, I try to have multiple field guides for each state, park, and region I'm in. Each guide has different style, coverage, map types, images, and information. The smaller the region covered by the guide, the more information it tends to have which is specific to that region. This is only practical if you have a vehicle with space, and the time or money to build up the library!

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack