The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Talladega National forest

This is a discussion on Talladega National forest within the Herpetological Science & Politics forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; Theyre trying to sell 10% of it to drill for oil. What could stop it? Could a neotenic population of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information
Default Talladega National forest

Theyre trying to sell 10% of it to drill for oil. What could stop it? Could a neotenic population of two lined sals be in danger? What will happen to the animals???

Traxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Talladega National forest

I doubt Two-Lined Salamanders will raise any eyebrows, unfortunately. On the wider topic, this kind of thing is not uncommon, particularly in the more Republican states like Alabama (before anyone tries to make this political, I only say this because Republican politicians have a track record of favoring private land ownership versus public ownership).

Frankly I'm amazed that there is as much public land in AL as there is right now. To put things in perspective, have you ever heard of the Red Hills Salamander, Phaeognathus hubrichti? It's the only species in its genus and it's found only in the Red Hills of Alabama (from the edge of the Alabama River in the west, to the Conecuh river in the east). It has been known to science for only 50 years, and it is listed as Federally Threatened. It should be Federally Endangered in my opinion. Anyhow, every speck of land where this species is found is private property with the exception of two small parcels of publicly-owned land. And do you know who owns that private property? Commercial Timber Harvesters. It's some kind of ecological nightmare.

I sympathize with your loss, but it's not high on the significance scale when compared to other problems facing salamanders in Alabama. At least Two-Lined Salamanders are found elsewhere. Red Hills Salamanders can't live anywhere else but in the Red Hills, due to the consistency of the soil, topology, and forest growth.

Old 22nd April 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Msteffen is an unknown quantity at this point

Neotenic population of 2 lineds?

Mike

Msteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

I'm curious about the "neotenic" population of two-lined sals as well. As far as I was aware, paedomorphy didn't occur in that genera.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information

Alabama is supposed to be the only place, and I think the ones I caught are neotenic...

Traxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
I'm curious about the "neotenic" population of two-lined sals as well. As far as I was aware, paedomorphy didn't occur in that genera.
Half the genus is neotenic: E.sosorum, E.troglodytes, E.nana, E.robusta, E.rathbuni, E.tynerensis [a complex of species which includes terrestrial multiplicata/griseogaster], etc.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack