The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Captive Wildlife Regulations of Saskatchewan

This is a discussion on Captive Wildlife Regulations of Saskatchewan within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; I realize that a very small number of Saskatchewan caudata enthusiasts are members of this forum, but I was hoping ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 18
Rep: Teeglor has shown reliable knowledge
Post Captive Wildlife Regulations of Saskatchewan

I realize that a very small number of Saskatchewan caudata enthusiasts are members of this forum, but I was hoping by putting this here it will help visitors and members in the future.

Captive Wildlife Regulations of Saskatchewan, Canada http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/En...s/W13-1R13.pdf
- Currently (2015) all native salamander species (a. mavortium melanostictum and a. mavortium diaboli) are legal to collect and captivate from the wild.

Moving Captivated Animals from Provinces and/or Selling HISS
- To move local or non-local captivated wildlife between provinces you need an export/import permit.
- The link above shows how to do this; it's quite easy and free of charge.
- To sell wild-bred animals it is best to contact Fish and Wildlife or Ministry of Environment and ask if permits are necessary to do so -- if allowed at all.
- FAW contact info is in the link above.
- Some locations (such as Saskatoon) have bylaws that add to the rules of owning exotic and local wildlife.

More info about MOE and selling permits here: Sale of Wildlife Permits - Environment - Government of Saskatchewan

Heavy fines are charged to any person who break these laws. Remember not to be selfish. These are wild animals and taking too many can damage the population, spread disease, endanger them and make them illegal to own as pets in Saskatchewan. Whether selling, owning or attempting to breed, please keep these animals in the most humane conditions. Not doing so violates laws provided in the first link. Exporting, importing or selling animals that are diseased also violates these regulations, so take care in using the proper measures listed in the first link.

I hope this helps future SK. herpers! Happy herping!

Old 18th August 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: alleexo has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Captive Wildlife Regulations of Saskatchewan

This was so helpful, thank you!! :)

alleexo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, canada, laws and regulations, provinces, salamanders, saskatchewan, selling, tiger salamanders, wildlife

LinkBack