The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Orajel, legal for euthanasia in the UK?

This is a discussion on Orajel, legal for euthanasia in the UK? within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hi all and sorry if I've missed this information elsewhere. Can anyone tell me the legality of using Orajel to ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By herpvet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sebby has given consistently good advice and informationSebby has given consistently good advice and informationSebby has given consistently good advice and information
Default Orajel, legal for euthanasia in the UK?

Hi all
and sorry if I've missed this information elsewhere.
Can anyone tell me the legality of using Orajel to euthanize an amphibian in the UK please?
I have been recommended this method and have read the Caudata post on euthanasia methods and a few posts where people have used it,
Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia

but they don't mention British law. The posts tend to say it is painless for the animal but as this medicine doesn't appear to be registered for animal use I am unsure if it is legally acceptable to use.

Any legal advice OR feedback from people who have used it gratefully received, please feel free to PM me if you would rather not post.

Sebastian
Sebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Orajel, legal for euthanasia in the UK?

Most of the home euthanasia methods aren't animal approved - oraljel or any other lidocaine/benzocaine preparation, clove oil, alcohol. Even decapitation - the RSPCA say all are acceptable.

The only legal requirement as far as I'm concerned is that the animal doesn't suffer. If you are not confident you should seek advice from a vet, but I have used clove oil on larvae on a few occasions with great success.

The relevant requirements from the RCVS is here.
Old 31st May 2015   #3 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: herpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Most of the home euthanasia methods aren't animal approved - oraljel or any other lidocaine/benzocaine preparation, clove oil, alcohol. Even decapitation - the RSPCA say all are acceptable.
Please note decapitation (alone) is NOT considered humane. The brain survives a fair time after decapitation in ectotherms, and decapitation is ONLY considered acceptable if carried out on an anaesthetised animal and followed immediately by pithing (brain destruction). In short; don't do it.

For physical method swift destruction of the brain is technically acceptable if done properly - not generally recommended though.

Hope this helps.
herpvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Wildlife Casualty Euthanasia (with special reference to UK Wildlife)
Blackbun is online now   Reply With Quote