The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The US Federal Government is Considering Injurious Species

This is a discussion on The US Federal Government is Considering Injurious Species within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Are Frogs Injurious Species? - Extinction Countdown - Scientific American Blog Network The Department of Fish and Wildlife is considering ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sde
  • 2 Post By Rupert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2015   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Exclamation The US Federal Government is Considering Injurious Species

Are Frogs Injurious Species? - Extinction Countdown - Scientific American Blog Network

The Department of Fish and Wildlife is considering banning the transport of amphibians over state and national lines. I think that this will severely impact the hobby, and I hope they come to a reasonable decision regarding the topic. Some organizations are pushing for a complete ban, which, I think is unreasonable.

Put in your thoughts on this below!

Old 15th October 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 141
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: The US Federal Government is Considering Injurious Species

I personally won't say anything. It'll be good for the native species of amphibians, but they could make it so only captive bred specimens are available. Being cb has less of a chance of infecting the natives than wc

Old 15th October 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I hope they ban all WC imports, that would be splendid. However it would really suck for keepers if they banned all interstate traffic as well, many people's hobbies would come to a standstill and most likely many people would stop breeding their animals for fear that they wouldn't find buyers. I think it would cause the countries captive amphibian population to drop severely, along with the number of hobbyists.
On the flip side, however, it is easy to see the good it could do, but the question is, has it already spread to the point where stopping it won't actually make a difference? The western US already has it all over, but much of the central US is yet to have reports of it. So, i think the answer is no, if we stop it it should make a difference.

It would be a sacrifice for hobbyists, but i guess it depends on if you think protecting the wild amphibians a serious enough of a problem that stopping interstate traffic altogether is worth it.
It's a tough subject, for sure.

Old 16th October 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Rupert has shown reliable knowledgeRupert has shown reliable knowledge

I've also heard that this "chytrid disaster" is something along the lines of mad cow disease fear or the old SARS syndrome..... that its a new fashion to blame everything on chytrid while in reality it is not.... not sure which to believe...

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Bd and Bsal are serious concerns in the hobby. The article you referenced appears to be about five years old. Right now I think recommendations being made are mostly about Bsal and imports of w.c. caudates that might be carriers.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: physalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Has there been any new news since this went to the public inquiry phase years ago? I tried searching for info but could not find any. The current issue for Bsal that Michael mentions is from a different, more recent, petition specific to caudates.

physalia is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack