The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

SWEEPING BAN on salamander trade/transportation in effect this month

This is a discussion on SWEEPING BAN on salamander trade/transportation in effect this month within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Originally Posted by josh1990 Who are the groups and people that pushed for the ban in the first place? I ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Like Tree259Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2016   #161 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: SWEEPING BAN on salamander trade/transportation in effect this month

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1990 View Post
Who are the groups and people that pushed for the ban in the first place? I would like to know and think all of us in the hobby should know. I just want to understand why transportation of captive-bred caudates,in their minds, pose a risk to wild populations? If they want to find out if populations captive or wild, have the fungus, why would they ban the transportation of swabs that could find it? There seems to me they don`t have a leg to stand on regarding all this & they are using fear, not facts, to push their own agenda.
By chance, I found myself rereading this old press item that I posted.

It states;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
But when it comes to policy, Lips says, the Fish and Wildlife Service's choices are limited. The Lacey Act was established in 1900 and is now used to control the introduction of invasive species and prevent illegal trade in wildlife. However, there's no provision for wildlife diseases.

"The Fish and Wildlife Service has been very interested in chytrid and amphibian diseases for many years," Lips says. "But there's a problem. Under the Lacey Act, they don't have the legal authority to do much."

Scientists aren't the only ones pushing for action. Priya Nanjappa of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies says that last year her group asked the Fish and Wildlife Service to create a temporary emergency rule that would place all salamanders or at least those most at risk under the protection of the Lacey Act.

This spring, the Fish and Wildlife Service said it would consider that request.

Meanwhile, Nanjappa, who is AFWA's amphibian, reptile and invasive species coordinator, is in charge of developing a nationwide response plan in case Bsal is found in the U.S. before imports are controlled.
Maybe it answers some of your questions.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016   #162 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: josh1990 has shown reliable knowledgejosh1990 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: SWEEPING BAN on salamander trade/transportation in effect this month

Thank you for that information! It says right in that text that they have no legal basis for this! This is government over-reach! Don`t get me wrong, I`m all for the ban on the importation of European & Asian species (that are wild caught) to try to prevent the fungus showing up in the U.S. but to ban the transportation across state lines is just a knee-jerk reaction with no scientific data. Any government body that looks over native species has to look at the cold-hard facts and not Anti-pet opinions and feelings. Just because a group of anti-pet people lobby Fish & Game and say "But muh feelings get hurt when I see a herptile in a cage!", does not mean they can dictate what we keep and breed. Scientific facts always trump opinions and ideology and that is something the P.E.T.A. like groups need to get through their thick skulls that are always stuck in the sand!
I am not trying to hurt any ones feelings but extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.I`m going to use that article for talking points for my letters to my Senators.I really hope this law can be revised but I`m not going to hold my breath for it.I hope all U.S. members have contacted their Representatives and Senators and used the facts and how it will impact them. I`ll get of my soapbox now! LOL...

josh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016   #163 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

[QUOTE=frogman;457988]Good golly this is rough.....is this just another "lame duck" president move? No guns, no newts, whats next?! No

Guns, unlike newts, need banning.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016   #164 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

USARK says the mass listing is unlawful, see http://usark.org/uncategorized/7893/

So now it's in the courts hands. I am all for USFW protecting animals but it needs to be done in an appropriate way and not in the way which powerful animal rights groups like the center for biological diversity and HSUS use their political allies to have done.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016   #165 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Mrsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand the help on not spreading disease, but stopping interstate trade makes no sense.. this is awful

Mrsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016   #166 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Joep has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

eggs are alowed!!

Joep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016   #167 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Joep has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

a simple vetcheck can be the solution!!
totall bann kills our hobby!!

Joep is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack