The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Need convincing info

This is a discussion on Need convincing info within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hello I'm fairly new to the page. So hello everyone. This has to do with the newt and salamander ban. ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TigerLotl83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TigerLotl83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need convincing info

Hello I'm fairly new to the page. So hello everyone. This has to do with the newt and salamander ban. I've recently got the opportunity to speak out on this. With my state senator. They are extremely interested in what i have to say. This is mainly for the interstate ban. As I'm all for the ban on wild caught imports. What i would like from whoever would comment. Is key points on getting the interstate ban lifted. I've been reading what i can. I have my own opinions. But this isn't just about me. Its about everyone in this hobby. So please feel free to leave a comment or pm. I appreciate any convincing info.

TigerLotl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Need convincing info

Hi, weicome to the site. :)
These are the two main threads dealing with the whole thing at the moment. Good luck!

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...y-version.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...ect-month.html

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default Re: Need convincing info

The ban is not interstate specific because of this particular list of species but because of how the law (Lacey Act) is written. However, when the bill was originally passed testimony to the congress was that this law does not apply to exotic animals already within the US and that was the understanding at the time it was passed. Because of this a legal challenge was issued to stop the interstate enforcement as pertains to exotic pets. There will be more information about this in a few months once the case is heard.

What you may want to research is something called CaTX which was used to bypass the usual assessments needed to justify listing a species. Likely they could not defend many of the listings, but some they easily could. The courts will decide the interstate transport but I would read up on CaTX as much as possible. On one hand they say it's not in the US so we must act now, on the other hand they say we must ban native because it could be here... so which is it? Furthermore, this disease is a legitimate concern that warrants some action be taken, but there is fear that it will be used to create wholesale bans on an entire industry deeply unpopular with certain political groups and those just happen to have the hear of USFW at the moment.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack