The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

"CITES exporters"?

This is a discussion on "CITES exporters"? within the Laws/Legality and Ethics forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hi all, Just yesterday I got followed on Twitter that called themself a "CITES exporter" of sulcata tortoises and vervet ...

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default "CITES exporters"?

Hi all,

Just yesterday I got followed on Twitter that called themself a "CITES exporter" of sulcata tortoises and vervet monkeys.

I don't think the party is based in the United States.

Can anyone tell me much about what is involved in CITES permits? I looked up CITES... but I guess I don't actually get what is involved here. I blocked this party about 15 minutes after he followed me on Twitter. I emailed a guy I know at the local zoo, and he told me it sounded fishy and suggested I keep this guy blocked.

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: "CITES exporters"?

CITES are the body that control and permit the movement of endangered species across international borders. In order to move and endangered species you need to get permission and prove that it is not affecting the indigenous population negatively (i.e. not wild caught) or that the animals are being moved in support of the species (e.g. for a breeding program).
It usually involves both the seller and the buyer obtaining permits, which are pricey and complicated, to do so.
One of the most recent cases in the amphibian world was the export of A. andersoni from the UK to the USA, it involved a lot of paperwork, statements of origin, and various tests for Bsal/BD. Complicated, but not impossible.
There are no officially approved exporters under CITES, each application is new and unique, so either the guy just has experience with CITES permits or it is indeed fishy.

Old 3rd September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Re: "CITES exporters"?

I was not familiar, to my recollection, with Ambystoma andersoni until you mentioned it here. Interesting.

So someone with a CITES permit, if it is real, has evidence/proof that these rare animals are not wild caught, but captive bred/raised? And the buyer, if a CITES seller is going to sell one of those rare animals, must also have a permit. Interesting

Thanks for the info.

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack