The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Strange looking Chinese newt.

This is a discussion on Strange looking Chinese newt. within the Taxonomy, Phylogenetics & Evolution forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; I found this picture while surfing, it's advertised as Cynops/Hypselotriton fudingensis, but doesn't look like any of the other pictures ...

Taxonomy, Phylogenetics & Evolution For the discussion of species naming, origins and the related sciences.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Otterwoman
  • 1 Post By Jort
  • 3 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Strange looking Chinese newt.

I found this picture while surfing, it's advertised as Cynops/Hypselotriton fudingensis, but doesn't look like any of the other pictures of that species I have. Is it just an aberrant colour morph, or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Strange looking Chinese newt.-fudingensis.jpg  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Strange looking Chinese newt.

I believe it's a mega rare colour morph. I know someone who bought a cynops orientalist that looked similar

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

It's really pretty!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

It is, I wish I could read Japanese for more details. I know the Japanese seem to be producing sporadic numbers of C. pyrrhos in various shades of red/blue/purple for the Japanese pet trade, but they never make it out to the wider market. I know this one isn't a pyrrho, mind you.

Old 7th September 2016   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
It is, I wish I could read Japanese for more details.
You can translate any webpage using Google Chrome, just right click and hit "Translate to English".
Attached Thumbnails
Strange looking Chinese newt.-amphibiaweb.jpg   Strange looking Chinese newt.-amphibiaweb2.jpg   Strange looking Chinese newt.-amphibiaweb3.jpg  

Old 9th September 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

I saw a FBN who's pattern was upside down, which was very beautiful. This however is even stranger. Never knew about the colour morphs in Japan. Though they're sometimes very beautiful, I do prefer the normal colours most of the time.

Jort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jort View Post
I saw a FBN who's pattern was upside down, which was very beautiful. This however is even stranger. Never knew about the colour morphs in Japan. Though they're sometimes very beautiful, I do prefer the normal colours most of the time.
Here's a pic of some of them from a Japanese seller, there are more out there, but the sites are Japanese and hard for me to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange looking Chinese newt.-mutant-pyrrhos.jpg  

Old 26th September 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LunaticNic is an unknown quantity at this point

They look absolutely stunning. I also wasn't aware these color-morphs existed among FBN like they do in certain reptiles like Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos.

Is it the rarity of the color morphs that they don't seem to enter the international pet trade or something else?

LunaticNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

They are very rare, so there's never a shortage of well off buyers in Japan I suppose. Breeding and raising Cynops species is rather long winded compared to Triturus and raising large quantitys of terrestrial juveniles up to a saleable size can take years.
Personally I agree with Jort, they are beautiful and should be admired for what they are, but not line bred or inbred to produce more and more.

LinkBack