The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Disposable gloves toxic to amphibians

This is a discussion on Disposable gloves toxic to amphibians within the Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; There was a paper published recently about the effects of disposable gloves on tadpoles. http://www.parcplace.org/Cashins_eta...andtads%20.pdf Many people/institutions have been using ...

Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry Man made and organic pollution have drastic effects on the viability of ecosystems throughout the world. Amphibians are on the front line of this issue because they are widely believed to be the most sensitive organisms effected.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2008   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Disposable gloves toxic to amphibians

There was a paper published recently about the effects of disposable gloves on tadpoles.
http://www.parcplace.org/Cashins_eta...andtads%20.pdf

Many people/institutions have been using dispo gloves to handle amphibians, believing that it's safer because no germs/oils/lotions are transmitted from human skin to the skin of the amphib. However, it appears that all glove types (latex, nitrile, vinyl) have some level of toxicity, at least to tadpoles. Of the options, well-rinsed vinyl gloves appear to be the only acceptable option.

Old 28th September 2008   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11
Default Re: Disposable gloves toxic to amphibians

We just had this discussion in the German board a few weeks ago. It may be worth mentioning, too, that the gloves should not be the kind with powder inside of them.

-Eva

blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing Jen!

Up to now I only knew that latex gloves are dangerous to amphibia and nitril was recommended as a better alternative.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008   #4 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Jen, thanks for posting. It is an interesting read.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

How do gloves compare to well washed hands?

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bobberly1 has shown reliable knowledgebobberly1 has shown reliable knowledge

About equal, according to their statistics.

bobberly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper View Post
How do gloves compare to well washed hands?
Compare in what regard? For safety for an individual salamander, I think rinsed vinyl gloves versus well-rinsed hands may be of similar risk (both could have some stuff that is bad, but generally safe). But in situations where it's important not to cross-contaminate animals/enclosures, gloves are obviously better.

Old 7th October 2008   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Perhaps instead of gloves people should be using plastic bags over their hands?(is polyethlene as used in fish bags toxic to amphibians?).

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pixolite is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post Jen! And that is a good point, I wonder about the plastic bags myself. This may be stupid, but what I'm reading here is that it's equally as dangerous to use gloves, if not more, than just using bare hands? Unless you are trying not to cross contaminate, correct?

pixolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixolite View Post
what I'm reading here is that it's equally as dangerous to use gloves, if not more, than just using bare hands? Unless you are trying not to cross contaminate, correct?
That is my interpretation also, although the paper doesn't address this issue. Hands may be safer, as long as one is careful about what is on the hands. Soaps, lotions, household chemicals, etc, could be worse than rinsed gloves.

Old 2nd March 2010   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: psycotropy is an unknown quantity at this point

i have found with my limited axolotl raising that introducing another chemical ie the residue from disposable gloves either non-powdered or powdered. i agree that the only safe handling of any type of aquatic pet be with you very clean hands.

psycotropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and informationLugubris has given good advice and information

All plastics, rubbers, foams, resins ect... by their nature leach chemicals or tiny particles to a certain extent, none of which can be good for amphibians. The less you use around them the better. I think if you need to use gloves the best option would be to use food preparation gloves because the FDA sets regulations about the type and amount of toxins that leach out of such products.

Lugubris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amphibians, disposable, gloves, toxic

LinkBack